Many times before, I have shared that Indianapolis is a city that cares – about its visitors, its environment, its community, its world. Probably one of the best examples of this is the number of Indianapolis attractions who celebrate Martin Luther King, Jr. Day with not only free admission but opportunities to change the world, too. If Monday’s day off school is circled on your calendar like it is on mine, here are ways to both enjoy the day and celebrate the legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr.
- The Indiana State Museum is offering FREE admission with the donation of a canned good to be given to Gleaners Food Bank. Throughout the day, special performances and documentary films will celebrate Dr. King’s dream.
- Conner Prairie also will have a public free day. While there, you can learn about the contributions of African Americans to the Civil War, make a card for troops serving overseas, donate to Indiana Children’s Wish, and much more!
- The Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians & Western Art will also be collecting canned food donations for Gleaners and giving you free admission. Be sure the kids visit the R.B. Annis Family experience and definitely snack on the cornbread at the Sky Cafe!
- Get fit at the NCAA Hall of Champions! Not only is admission free with canned food donation, there will be IUPUI led FREE fitness classes at 11 AM and 1 PM, arts and crafts, and great NCAA give aways. Plus, you can learn about a fantastic April 4th event commemorating Dr. King’s tragic death and celebrating his phenomenal life.
- The Children Museum of Indianapolis will be a buzz with activity with free admission (10 AM – 5 PM) and special activities celebrating the life and contributions of Martin Luther King, Jr. For more money saving tips on the Children’s Museum, go here.
- The Indianapolis Zoo will be open and also collecting canned goods in exchange for free admission. Check out the cold weather animals or head indoors to check out dolphins, meerkats, sharks, and more!
- Even though opening day is not here yet, head to Victory Field for a FREE health fair sponsored by Wishard Hospital from 10 AM to 2 PM. Rowdie, the Indians’ mascot will sign autographs from 11 AM – 1 PM.
- You can even catch a FREE flick at the IMAX theater at the Indiana State Museum. Pre-screen Sea Rex at 9, 10:15, 11:30, 12:45, or 2 PM. It’s a great chance to see this movie before it hits the screens at the IMAX in February.
- Parking for White River State Park Attractions (Victory Field, IMAX, Indiana State Museum, NCAA Hall of Champions, Eiteljorg, Indianapolis Zoo) will also be free in either their garages or lots. And parking at the Children’s Museum and Conner Prairie is always free.
Have a great day without spending a dime and change the world, too!