Whenever I’m with groups of friends who are not of the LGBT persuasion, I often hear people say “Isn’t Mass Ave a big gay area?” Since this is a blog for Indy visitors, allow me to clarify, Mass Ave is Indianapolis slang for Massachusetts Avenue, a wonderful storefront and restaurant lined street that runs diagonally through the east part of downtown Indianapolis.
There are a few LGBT venues, but it’s really a wonderful and friendly mix of unique options. Whether you’re gay or straight, here’s how one might spend a typical Saturday on Mass Ave:
- Coffee with friends- There’s a Starbucks located conveniently right next to a small green park. It’s a great place to meet friends, grab a cup of coffee and catch up. Further east, there’s also Yogulatte, a LGBT owned and local coffee shop that features delicious FAT free frozen yogurt as well.
- Shopping- There are some great stores. May I suggest Mass Ave Toys for family fun, Silver in the City is a wonderful and eclectic gift store and Watt’s Blooming is my Indianapolis florist of choice.
- Dining- There are MANY options for dining. Shout out’s to LGBT owned Hoaglin to Go and 45 Degrees.There’s also great sushi at Bu Da Lounge, amazing pizza at BazBeaux, fine Italian at Agio and R Bistro which features local and seasonal menus.
- Theatre- Theatre On the Square specializes in quirky shows on their two stages. The Phoenix Theatre is also just a hop skip and a jump from Mass Ave on Park Street. The Murat is host to the Broadway in Indianapolis series.
- Drinks- There are plenty of bars as well. I must give a nod to the LGBT owned METRO, but there’s also Ball & Biscuit, Chatham Tap, Mass Ave Pub and McNivens.