Take one look at the school supply aisles in your local big box store and you’ll know that the countdown is on. In just a day or two, freshly scrubbed and well rested kids will be boarding the big yellow bus. Going back to school can be stressful, frantic, and overwhelming (and that’s just the parents). However, Indy provides plenty of opportunities for families to celebrate going back to school. Kick your little scholar’s academic year off well by choosing an Indy adventure to mark new beginnings. Here are five of my favorite ways to ring in a new school year when you Visit Indy (after school hours of course!).
1. Check out Sub Zero Ice Cream: Located on Mass Ave, this ain’t you grandaady’s ice cream parlor. The concept comes straight from ABC’s Shark Tank & features the power of Liquid Nitrogen to freeze your sweet treat right in front of your eyes! Shhh, don’t tell the kids they’re getting a science lesson, too. And I absolutely LOVE the fact that you can choose from low-fat ice cream, premium ice cream, custard, yogurt or even almond milk as a base (allergy sufferers, rejoice!) Check in on Facebook or Fourseuare to save money.
2. Head to the Drumline Battle on Georgia Street: Sometimes you just need to march to the beat of your own drum. On August 10th from 9 am to 3 pm, more than 20 drumlines will battle it out for the DLB Championship in a double elimination-style tournament. Food Trucks + plenty of drum corps = #1 Parent of the Year. Best of all, since you spent all of your extra cash on PTO fees, books, & new pencils, it’s great that this event is FREE.
3. Go to the Indiana State Fair! Back to School and the Indiana State Fair have co-existed since I was a kid and all of those lucky 4-H kids got to skip the first couple of days back in the classroom. Just because the kids are hitting the books, it doesn’t mean you have to miss out on all that farm fair fun! Check out the Special Days Discount Offerings to maximize your savings & see the World’s Largest Popcorn Ball presented by Indiana’s Family of Farmers for me! This year’s fair is August 2 – 18.
4. Blow Off Some Steam with Wheel Fun Rentals. Sometimes you just need to MOVE after sitting in a classroom all day long. We absolutely LOVE Wheel Fun Rentals on the Downtown Canal. Choose from bikes or boats and let your student pedal away.
5. Take ‘em Out to the Ballgame. Did you know that kids eat free on Sundays at Indianapolis Indians games? And Sunday, August 4 is your last chance to take advantage of this great promotion. Kids 14 and under each receive a voucher good for one hot dog, one drink and one bag of chips.
How do you celebrate the return to the classroom with your family?