The Indianapolis 500 is drenched in tradition. Don’t mess with our tradition at the track. It really is something you have to experience at least once. The eruption of cheering as the last note of “Back Home Again in Indiana” is sung and balloons are released. The rumble of the engines as a women’s voice commences the drivers to start their engines. There is one tradition that is filled with urban legend, rumor, and blank stares, when asked to retell stories of the one and only Snake Pit. The Snake Pit is the extreme to tailgating at the Indianapolis 500.
There are thousands of people that come to park in the infield, to party with friends, make new friends, and celebrate the excitement of racing. It is an annual choreographed event for many. Getting up early to funnel your way into the infield and set your perfect party spot. This year there are a few changes that will effect the normal open format of parking inside the track. For the important details visit the track’s official website. If packing up a day’s supply of food and drink isn’t your thing, than you will want to get your VIP pass to the Snake Pit. The snake pit is a festival that pays homage to the legendary Snake Pit. A wilder younger crowd is found in the pit, but worth checking out for the experience of the new-aged pit. With amazing Dj’s, party experiences, and a crowd looking for a good time.
- Get sleep the night before. It WILL BE a long day, often in the sun and heat. No cranky people allowed.
- Wear comfortable shoes. Save flip flops for the professionals. Tennis shoes are best. You will want to walk around and experience the sights and sounds of the track.
- Charge your phone, and bring a portable charger in case of an emergency.
- NO GLASS! No matter how sly you think you are, don’t bring glass to the track.
- Small rolling coolers are the best. The track is huge, and carrying a heavy cooler is not fun for anyone.
- Pack more water than beer. Staying hydrated and cool will be important, if it is a normal May day in Indy. Drink responsibly.
- There is food available around the track, but it is also a great idea to pack your own. Insider tip: make sandwiches and put them in zipper bags, then wrap in aluminum foil with a label. Pack the sandwiches back in the bread bag and tie it up before placing in cooler. It will keep sandwiches dry and cool. Plus makes it easy to share with new friends.
- Celebrate the Indianapolis 500 with locally brewed beer from: Sun King, Flat12, Fountain Square Brewing Co., Bier Brewery, Thr3e Wise Men,
Enjoy the party celebrating The Greatest Spectacle in racing, just do it responsibly.